West Coast Mountain Guides
T: +44 (0)1397 719120
M: +44 (0)7710 441580
Winter Courses Scotland
Winter mountaineering and ice climbing activities are invariably effected by the weather and snow and ice conditions. In reality this is the nature of winter mountaineering and ice climbing in Scotland. Attending a course will not make any difference! However the instructors local knowledge should ensure that the most is made of every day out on the hill. Course members will get a useful insight to what is possible, even during poor weather should it occur.
Individuals or groups are welcome. No minimum numbers.
In general terms all course members will spend as much time as possible on high snow and ice covered mountains above 3,000 ft (915m) looking at the necessary skills for winter mountaineering and ice climbing. During the evenings a library of relevant mountain video subjects are available to reinforce the practical side of the programmes. The courses all meet for kit checks and introductions on the Sunday morning (5 days) or Saturday morning weekends.
Winter Climbing Videos
Each day starts at 8.00am and usually finishes by 5.00-6.00pm. A weather and avalanche briefing each morning is backed up on the hill by digging snow pits and studying snow crystals and previous weather/wind patterns.
All winter courses require considerable physical effort and are potentially risky. Anyone interested in fitness training before attending a course should try swimming, cycling or just hill-walking. Try and arrive reasonably fit and you will enjoy yourself even more!
Some courses will use the Nevis Range Gondola up lift and £12.00 return is a cost to be budgeted for. Also one visit to the Ice Factor for the climbers is possible and this will involve an extra £25 over the course fee.
"Hi Alan, Adam and Bruce
I just wanted to say a big thank you for letting me "gatecrash" the CIC course in March. I really appreciated all your help and instruction bo...
Experience the challenges and skills of winter. All levels catered for.
- Christmas and New Year
- Prepare for Winter
- Winter Mountaineering Intro Weekends
- Winter Mountaineering Intermediate Weekends
- Winter Climbing Weekends
- Introductory winter courses
- Winter Mountaineering
- Student Courses
- Winter climbing: Introductory to intermediate
- Winter climbing - intermediate to advanced level
- Winter Climbing - Ben Nevis - CIC Hut
- Shorter Winter courses
- Mountain Navigation and Safety Weekends
- Summer Scrambling & Mountaineering
- Isle of Skye - Cuillin 'Munros'
- Isle of Skye - Black Cuillin Traverse
- Isle of Skye - Black Cuillin Half Traverse
- Easy Rock - Rock Climbing in Scotland
- Classic rock climbing courses
- Skye rock climbing - Five Day courses
- Stacks of Rock
- Rock climbing around Scotland
Enter your details below to keep up to date with the latest updates via our Newsletter
View Our Newsletter Archive